November 28, 2012

My brother is performing in a talent show coming up, and my mom asked me to take him shopping for a stage outfit.  Upon going shopping I found this superman shirt, yes in boys section, on clearance for $5.  I immediately fell in love with it, and decided to live vicariously through my brother and make him get it.  Then I saw...there were two.
This is exactly the type of behavior that is bound to land me on "What Not to Wear" in the near future.  I know that I am not a boy, and therefore should not be shopping in the boys section.  I have actually seen this addressed on several episodes of What Not to Wear, where they tell the poor person that they are too old to be wearing superman paraphernalia.
I was having this thought as we were up at the register, both shirts in hand, but decided that 22 was still young enough to love a superman shirt.  Maybe at 25, I will throw it out...but I'm still young enough to get away with this childish behavior.  And then the unthinkable happened.  My brother was playing with this Christmas Aflac Duck, who's inventor needs to be punched, and I glared at him.  He started laughing and explained to the woman helping us that I hated that sound.  (Umm...who doesn't?)  And she said, "Mom's don't really like things that make too much sound," and then smiled sympathetically at me.  My brother is 13!!! Do I look old enough to have a 13 year old child? I had people give me dirty looks when I appeared to be a teenager holding a baby, but for real? Now? I immediately felt ten years older, but the shirt was already rung up.  I guess I will just have to wear it in shame, humming the song "Supergirl" to myself between sobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment